Auto Accident Lawyer Bronx, NY
According to the Department of Motor Vehicles, across New York, there were more than 300,000 auto accidents during 2013. As a result, more than 101,000 people suffered injuries. When injured in an auto accident, contacting a car accident lawyer can help you recover financial damages for your injuries as well as the loss of your automobile.
Injuries in Car Accidents
Victims of auto accidents can suffer a range of injuries from minor bumps and bruises to loss of life. Some of the more common injuries that victims of car accidents have demonstrated to me as a car accident lawyer include:
- Back and Spine Injuries – Depending on the severity of the crash, victims can suffer debilitating back and spinal injuries which could result in life-long difficulties with mobility or cause long-term pain. Only working with a skilled car accident lawyer can you recover financially from these injuries.
- Head and Brain Injuries – Some drivers suffer serious head and brain injuries ranging from minor concussions, contusions and in serious cases, traumatic brain injuries. All these injuries require different recuperation times and some can cause problems with mobility that could last a lifetime.
- Broken Bones – Even a minor car accident can cause broken arms, legs and broken pelvic bones. Victims are often facing weeks of rehabilitation services and in some cases multiple surgical procedures after broken bones. As a car accident lawyer, I have seen the financial issues victims suffer after an accident.
Types of Car Accidents
As a car accident lawyer, I have had plenty of opportunity to discuss what types of accidents they have been involved in and what they believe the cause of the accident is. As a rule of thumb, many accidents involve only one other vehicle and some of the reasons for the accident in the first place can be frightening. Some of the primary causes of accidents include:
- Distracted Driving – Nearly 50,000 accidents on New York roadways are caused by a driver not paying attention. Interestingly enough, this does not always mean they are using their cell phones because more than 600 additional accidents were caused by a driver using their cell phone.
- Failure to yield – Slightly more than 40,000 accidents on New York roadways were caused by drivers who ignored yield signs and wound up involved in a car crash. These types of accidents could be easily avoided by being more attentive to traffic signs.
- Following too closely – Drivers who failed to keep a reasonable distance between vehicles were involved in more than 40,000 accidents on New York roadways during 2013.
- Rear End Accidents – Nearly one-third of the car accidents that occur are rear end accidents, making them the most common type of traffic collision. Also, these types of accident are easy to determine fault.
- Parking Lot Accidents – Parking lots are a common site for accidents and can cause many headaches for drivers aren’t at fault.
- Hit and Run Accidents – Hit and runs have the be the most frustrating types of accidents. Ivan Diamond can help you receive compensation for the damage done.
New York Fatal Car Accidents
Remember that saying “you have to drive for yourself and everyone else”? Well, whoever created that mantra was right. In overpopulated cities, driving safely and defensively can be difficult. New York City is no different. In fact, driving in New York City can be extremely dangerous.
From July of 2012 through 2016, there were over 400 fatalities as a result of auto accidents. Data reports show that the majority of these accidents were caused by driver inattention or distraction. While tailgating and alcohol involvement followed closely behind for the causes of these accidents, distracted driving remained the number one reason for accidents and is still a large problem that faces our society today.
NYC Auto Accident Fatality Statistics
- 2013: 112 deaths
- 2014: 109 deaths
- 2015: 95 deaths
- 2016: 68 deaths
Causes of Accidents
Accidents happen for many reasons. Depending on the weather, the road can be too slick. A driver could be taking new medication that causes drowsiness. Other times, the driver could be a high school student who recently got a driver license. In the reported accidents, these were the causes for a portion of the 400 plus accidents that had occurred within the past five years.
- Driver inattention or distraction | 25 deaths
- Alcohol involvement | 15
- Tailgating (the driver followed too closely) | 11
- Driver fell asleep at the wheel | 7
- Driver inexperience | 5
- Driving at an unsafe speed | 4
- Aggressive driving/road rage | 4
- Outside car distraction | 3
- Fatigue or drowsiness | 2
Most Dangerous Boroughs for Drivers
Of the five boroughs in New York City, Queens is the most dangerous for driving.There were 176 motorists killed in 155 vehicle accidents.
Brooklyn followed behind and had 91 accident fatalities. The Bronx had 75 fatalities, Staten Island had 38, and Manhattan had the least amount of fatalities of the boroughs, which was 23.
The data also suggested that the most dangerous ZIP code for drivers was 11236 which saw 13 fatalities in the past couple years. The 11236 ZIP in Brooklyn includes the Canarsie neighborhood. Four of the fatalities reported in this ZIP code occurred on Rockaway Pkwy and three on Remsen Ave.
Note: Some of the accident data was not accompanied by location data. Not all accidents could be properly mapped.
Most Dangerous Intersections
Queens had the highest number of dangerous intersections in which accidents occurred. Queens’ most dangerous intersections are Cypress Avenue and Jackie Robinson Parkway (2 accidents, 2 deaths), Francis Lewis Boulevard and 48th Avenue (2 accidents, 2 deaths), and the most dangerous intersection: Rockaway Boulevard and Brookville Boulevard (3 accidents, 3 deaths).
Brooklyn’s most dangerous intersections are Erskine Street and Gateway Drive (2 accidents, 2 deaths) and Kings Highway and Clarendon Road (2 accidents, 2 deaths).
Accidents aren’t always avoidable, but by the looks of the data report, you can lower your risk of causing an accident by not driving while distracted, avoiding drinking and driving, and pulling over to the side of the road if you feel drowsy.
Do I Have a Car Accident Case?
Determining fault in a New York car accident often means you will have to work closely with a car accident lawyer. There are a number of items we will review including road conditions, police reports and time of day. We work hard to show who was at fault for the accident and determine if the accident could have been avoided had the other driver been more attentive. In some cases, such as a drunk driver, it is fairly easy to determine fault and typically, rear end collision accidents are nearly always the fault of the driver who struck your car from behind. One of the roles I will fill as a car accident lawyer is getting all the facts about the accident.
Keep in mind, New York is a shared fault state meaning if you are partially at fault for the accident, any settlement or award a judge or jury awards you may be reduced by the percentage of fault you share. An example of this would be if you were struck by a drunk driver but you were traveling more than five miles over the speed limit when struck, you may be found to be five percent responsible for the accident. As a car accident lawyer, I will explain how the personal injury statutes in New York apply to these cases and help you get the maximum award possible.
Contact Bronx Auto Accident Attorney Ivan Diamond
Car accidents can cause serious injury and can alter your life dramatically. When you are involved in an accident, contact Attorney Ivan M. Diamond at 877-960-1702. As an experienced injury lawyer in the Bronx I will be more than happy to review your case and help you determine the best way to proceed.
The Law Offices of
888 Grand Concourse #1L
Ivan M. Diamond
Bronx, NY 10451
Phone: (718) 588-2000
Ivan M. Diamond is available for home and hospital visits, as well as weekend and evening appointments.
How Can We Help?