Bronx Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer
Each year, more than 10,000 people die in drunk driving accidents across the United States. Alcohol consumption slows reflexes, interferes with thinking skills, and makes drivers far less safe on the road, yet drivers continue to get behind the wheel after consuming alcohol. If you suffered serious injuries in a drunk driving accident, you should seek legal help to determine your eligibility to receive compensation for your injuries from the drunk driver’s insurance policy. Contact the Law Offices of Ivan M. Diamond at (718) 588-2000 to speak with a car accident lawyer after your Bronx drunk driving accident.
An Experienced Professional Injury Firm for Your Drunk Driving Accident Claim
After a drunk driving accident, you may need an experienced attorney to help you file your claim and fight for the compensation you deserve. At the Law Offices of Ivan M. Diamond, you will receive professional, determined assistance that will, for many clients, increase the amount of compensation that they receive. Working with an experienced attorney like the ones at the Law Offices of Ivan M. Diamond can help:
- Provide a blueprint for the claims process, including how long you can expect it to take
- Provide valuable legal advice about every aspect of your claim, including how to communicate with the insurance company
- Reduce your stress, as the attorney will take over communication with the insurance company on your behalf
- Increase the amount of compensation that you receive for your injuries
Facing Bronx Drunk Driving Injuries
Bronx drunk driving injuries, like other injuries from auto accidents, can leave you struggling to take care of everyday tasks or to return to work after your accident. Consider these common injuries:
- Spinal cord injury
- Traumatic brain injury
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Soft tissue damage
Drunk driving accidents, due to the slowed reflexes of the drunk driver, can cause more severe injuries than other auto accidents. In many cases, victims of drunk driving accidents may face more severe limitations or need a longer time to recover from their injuries.
Filing Your Claim
When you file a claim after a drunk driving accident, you may have several questions. Contacting a lawyer as soon as possible can help you better evaluate your specific accident.
Who has to pay for my injuries after a drunk driving accident?
After a drunk driving accident or any other type of accident, even if someone else’s negligence caused the accident, you bear primary responsibility for taking care of your medical bills. However, the responsible party’s insurance company will often issue a payment to help cover many of those expenses. Responsible parties may include:
- The drunk driver. In many cases, the drunk driver may bear sole responsibility for an accident that occurred due to his or her inebriation. If an impaired driver chose to drive recklessly or ignored appropriate safety precautions, that driver may cause serious accidents with substantial injuries. In this case, the drunk driver’s insurance company will usually pay your claim.
- The bar or restaurant that over-served the drunk driver. Bars and restaurants must pay particular attention to their patrons. If the workers at a bar or restaurant know that an individual plans to get behind the wheel after leaving the establishment, servers and bartenders must take care not to allow that individual to consume excessive alcohol. The bar or restaurant should also take steps to prevent patrons from driving drunk, which may include summoning an Uber or taxi or suggesting that the patron remain until some of the alcohol processes out of his bloodstream. When the bar or restaurant fails to take these steps, it may share responsibility for the accident.
Do insurance companies always offer compensation for a drunk driving victim’s full cost of injuries?
Following drunk driving accidents, insurance companies may try to decrease their financial burden by offering low settlements to victims of the accidents. Often, these settlements fail to reflect the full extent of a victim’s injuries, especially if you have serious injuries from the accident. By working with an attorney, you can get a better idea of how much compensation you really deserve for your injuries. An attorney can also help you decide whether to accept an insurance company’s offer or continue to negotiate.
How much compensation can I expect from a drunk driving accident?
The compensation you receive for your injuries after a drunk driving accident will vary. First, you must prove that you sustained injuries as a result of the accident. The severity of those injuries will have a significant impact on the compensation that you can receive.
After that, the compensation you receive will depend on who bears responsibility for your injuries, including whether you share responsibility for the accident and the extent of the insurance policy that covers the drunk driver. If a driver carries only minimal insurance, you may receive less compensation than you would following an accident with a driver with an extensive insurance policy. Typically, victims of drunk driving accidents claim the following:
- Compensation for all of their medical expenses, including expenses acquired throughout the recovery process
- Compensation for hours missed at work due to the injury, including both time in recovery and time missed for appointments
- Compensation for pain and suffering after the accident, including emotional distress
- Compensation for lost earning potential when serious drunk driving injuries prevent them from returning to their previous professions
When You Need a Bronx Drunk Driving Accident Attorney
At the Law Offices of Ivan M. Diamond, we’ve helped many of our clients increase their compensation for serious injuries, including drunk driving accidents. While we cannot guarantee results in your case, we would like to help you seek the compensation you deserve. Contact us today at (718) 588-2000 to schedule your free consultation.