Bronx Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer
Your brain is the most important organ in your body, and a traumatic brain injury can disrupt your life in many ways.
If someone else caused your traumatic brain injury in the Bronx, seek immediate medical treatment. Afterward, consult an experienced Bronx brain injury attorney at The Law Offices of Ivan M. Diamond to understand your options for obtaining compensation.
The Bronx personal injury lawyers Law Offices of Ivan M. Diamond have helped many clients in the Bronx who suffered traumatic brain injuries. Ivan Diamond can answer your questions, help you understand your options, and offer ways he can pursue the compensation you need.
Why Choose the Law Offices of Ivan M. Diamond for Your Bronx Brain Injury
New York native attorney Ivan M. Diamond has fought for the rights of injured New Yorkers since 1995. He won best in class in law school for torts, or personal injury law, and he has helped thousands of New Yorkers obtain the compensation they need for their injuries caused by someone else.
Although he serves clients throughout all five boroughs and the surrounding areas of New York City, attorney Diamond’s law office is in the Bronx, and he has in-depth knowledge of local courts and procedures.
Additionally, attorney Diamond has a reputation for his tenacity, courtroom skills, and New York street smarts. Legal journals and other publications have published his successful trial verdicts, settlements, and appeals, and he has in-depth knowledge of New York’s personal injury laws.
You can rely on attorney Diamond to assert your rights and fight aggressively to increase your chances of getting the maximum financial recovery possible.
Consider some of the recent results he has obtained for other clients:
- $6.25 million for a patient who did not receive proper emergency treatment at a major NYC hospital, resulting in traumatic brain injury
- $1.5 million for a construction worker who suffered head and back injuries from falling plywood
- $425,000 for a construction worker hit by debris that caused post-concussion syndrome
The Law Offices of Ivan M. Diamond has recovered many substantial six- and seven-figure awards for victims of vehicle accidents, slip-and-fall accidents, and other preventable tragedies. We can help you pursue the compensation you deserve for the life-changing impacts your brain injury has caused. Contact us for your free case evaluation.
What Is a Traumatic Brain Injury?
Physicians classify traumatic brain injuries into two categories:
- Closed. The most common type, they occur from a direct hit to the head. Examples include striking your head against the window or steering wheel in a car accident, getting hit by a falling object, or being punched. TBIs can also occur from any event that causes your brain to smash into your skull. Examples include football players getting tackled and the violent jerking your head experiences in a vehicle accident.
- Penetrating. A penetrating TBI occurs when an object breaks through the skull and damages the brain. Common examples include sharp falling objects, glass shards, and other pointed debris from car accidents, and they can also include weapons, such as bullets and knives.
Traumatic brain injuries range in severity, but any type of injury is serious and can damage your life. Always get a medical evaluation after any accident, particularly if you have symptoms such as headaches, nausea, or issues with your thinking, memory, movements, or senses.
Common Causes of Traumatic Brain Injuries in the Bronx
As great as the Bronx is to live, visit, and work, you can still suffer traumatic brain injuries from various incidents here.
Some of the most common include:
- Falls and falling objects
- Blunt force trauma
- Motor vehicle accidents
The Bronx sees hundreds of car accidents yearly, and motor vehicle accidents are the fourth leading cause of injuries requiring hospitalization. On average, around 875 people must go to the emergency room for injuries each month throughout the Bronx area, with 73 on average requiring hospitalization.
The Bronx lists several locations throughout the borough that see a lot of traffic accidents, including:
- Third Avenue
- Bruckner Boulevard
- Major Deegan Expressway
- Cross Bronx Expressway
- Bronx River Parkway
- New England Thruway
- Hutchinson River Expressway
Of course, vehicle accidents happen in locations throughout the Bronx, and even a low-speed collision can create enough force to cause traumatic injury to your brain. The Law Offices of Ivan M. Diamond handles brain injury claims arising from any vehicle accident, including car, truck, motorcycle, drunk driving, and rideshare accidents.
Along with vehicle accidents, you can suffer traumatic brain injuries in the Bronx from any of the following:
- Slip, trip, and fall accidents. The Bronx is home to many top attractions, including the Bronx Zoo, Yankee Stadium, and the Bronx Museum of the Arts. The borough also has hundreds of stores, restaurants, and other public and private places where you can fall and hit your head. Added to that are the miles of sidewalks throughout the borough, many of which have cracks or uneven surfaces. All property owners in the Bronx must maintain the sidewalks surrounding their properties, including clearing snow and ice. You can hold the property owner liable for your injuries if you slip, trip, or fall.
- Falling objects. Construction sites are everywhere in the Bronx, and falling debris or construction materials could strike you as you walk down Webster Avenue or some other street. If you work in construction, you know the ever-present dangers falling objects pose and other hazards that could cause you to lose your footing and fall. Additionally, you could fall on a slick floor and hit your head while shopping at dozens of stores around town.
- Pedestrian and bicycle accidents. You could also suffer traumatic brain injuries just walking or riding your bicycle around the Bronx if a negligent driver hits you with their car.
- Medical malpractice and hospital errors. The Bronx has several top-notch healthcare facilities, such as Lincoln Medical Center and Mount of Eden, but doctors and nurses can still make mistakes. You can suffer a traumatic brain injury if emergency physicians and staff do not give you the oxygen you need while attending to another injury you suffered. Lack of oxygen is one cause of TBI.
- Assault. Unfortunately, the Bronx sees many assaults and violent crimes each year. Someone could strike you in the head, shoot you, or stab you. If the attack happened on a commercial property that failed to take reasonable steps to protect you, you can sue the property owner for negligent security.
- Dog bites. The Bronx is home to hundreds of dog owners. A dog attack could knock you over, causing you to hit your head on the ground.
Many other events could cause you to suffer a TBI. The Law Offices of Ivan M. Diamond can fight to maximize your financial recovery if someone else causes your injury.
Symptoms of a Traumatic Brain Injury
Traumatic brain injuries can present symptoms including:
- Vision problems
- Other sensory problems
- Confusion or disorientation
- Memory loss
- Balance issues
- Nausea and vomiting
- Problems sleeping
- Personality changes
Sometimes, symptoms do not appear immediately after the injury. You may feel fine at first, but in the days and weeks following the injury, you may experience symptoms. For any accident involving your head, get prompt medical treatment. Go to the emergency room immediately if you experience any symptoms or anything out of the ordinary following your accident.
Long-Term Effects of Traumatic Brain Injuries
TBIs can affect your life long after the accident. You may suffer from chronic headaches, sleep problems, dizziness, or vertigo, and a TBI can affect your balance and coordination along with your cognitive abilities, such as memory and concentration. TBIs can also cause photophobia, an intense sensitivity to light, and other adverse effects on your hearing and other senses. They can also create mood disorders, such as depression and anxiety.
The long-term effects of a TBI can impact your ability to work or attend school and affect virtually every aspect of your life, depriving you of the ability to support yourself and your family and do the things you love.
No matter the cause of your TBI, you should not have to incur the costs for treatment and therapy if it was not your fault, and you deserve compensation for all that you have endured and will endure. The Law Offices of Ivan M. Diamond is here to help you get the compensation you need to cover your current, past, and future care expenses so you can live as fully as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions About Traumatic Brain Injuries in the Bronx
What Compensation Can I Receive for a TBI?
In New York, you can recover economic and non-economic damages to compensate you for the financial, physical, mental, and emotional harm you suffered because of the TBI.
Economic damages refer to monetary and tangible losses you suffered, such as:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Property damage
You can also receive compensation for changes you made to your home to accommodate your injury. Also, you can get compensation for other expenses, such as travel costs for receiving treatment and any related out-of-pocket expenses.
You may also recover non-economic damages to help cover the other areas of your life the TBI affected, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
For a detailed explanation of the compensation you can receive, consult an experienced Bronx injury attorney.
How Long Do I Have to File a Brain Injury Lawsuit in the Bronx?
You have three years from your injury in the Bronx to file your injury lawsuit. New York’s statute of limitations drops to two years for wrongful death, and you only have one year to file if a criminal act such as assault caused your injury. For medical malpractice, you have two years and six months from the date of your accident to file.
However, if you feel New York City is responsible for your TBI or the injury happened on city-owned property, you will need to consult an attorney to help you understand the different rules and requirements. For instance, you may have as little as 90 days to file suit against the city, and you may have to jump through several loopholes first.
Also, certain circumstances may shorten or extend your time to file suit. Therefore, you should speak with a Bronx brain injury immediately for advice regarding when to file your claim.
How Much Can I Recover in My Bronx Brain Injury Case?
Many factors will determine how much you can get for your Bronx brain injury claim. Insurance companies often offer lowball settlements, and they will try every method to avoid paying anything at all. However, your attorney can negotiate with the insurance company to help you get all you need to cover your losses and expenses.
If insurance doesn’t cover the TBI or you have to take your case to trial, the court will consider numerous factors when determining the damages it will award. Again, you need an experienced brain injury attorney to advocate for you in court and help you get the most allowed under the law.
How Much Will It Cost to Get a Bronx Brain Injury Attorney?
Bronx brain injury attorney Ivan M. Diamond offers free consultations and does not charge anything upfront to represent you. You only pay fees if he recovers compensation through settlement or trial. If attorney Diamond cannot recover compensation for you, you will not have to pay attorney fees.
Contact the Law Offices of Ivan M. Diamond Today
The Law Offices of Ivan M. Diamond is here to help you get the compensation you need for your Bronx brain injury. Attorney Diamond can come to your home or hospital room if needed and is available during evenings and weekends.
Call The Law Offices of Ivan M. Diamond today at (718) 588-2000 or complete our contact form for your free case evaluation.
The Law Offices of Ivan M. Diamond
888 Grand Concourse Suite #1L, 10451
Client Review: 5/5
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
“I am extremely satisfied with the results Mr Diamond achieved for me on my case. I recommend his office for the best legal representation. In New York City.”
Review by: David B.
The Law Offices of Ivan M. Diamond888 Grand Concourse #1L Bronx, NY 10451 Phone: (718) 588-2000 Ivan M. Diamond is available for home and hospital visits, as well as weekend and evening appointments.
How Can We Help?