Even if you follow every safety precaution at your place of employment, it's still possible to suffer an injury or illness because of your work. Injuries on the job can result in hospitalization and lingering effects, including ongoing medical problems and the inability to continue working.
If you've been injured at your workplace or if you suffer from an illness that is attributable to the conditions of your work, know that you have rights. An experienced Bronx work accident attorney can assist you in recovering the compensation to which you are entitled.
Why Choose Diamond Injury Law After a Workplace Accident
Our personal injury law firm proudly represents accident victims in the Bronx and the greater New York City area. Ivan. M. Diamond, Esq., and his legal team use their wealth of experience and understanding to obtain maximum compensation for those injured by negligent behavior.
We understand that a workplace accident can cause more than just pain and time away from your job; you may also be left with outstanding medical bills, emotional distress, and anxiety about what your life will look like in the future. Our lawyers strive to do everything possible for workplace accident victims, as evidenced by some of our past successes:
- $1.5 million for a construction accident resulting in back and head injuries
- $1 million for an electrical worker who sustained a burn injury
- $425,000.00 for a construction worker injured by falling debris
It is impossible to guarantee the outcome of your particular case. However, we can assure you that your workplace accident claim will be handled with the utmost care and perseverance, and that our legal team will aim to deliver the results you deserve. During a free consultation with a personal injury attorney, you can receive more insight into your legal rights and options while we take the time to hear your story and gather information about your case. Contact our Bronx workplace accident attorneys today or visit our office to learn more.
Leading Causes of Work Injuries
A variety of hazardous situations can cause serious accidents or illnesses that result in ongoing problems for employees. Common workplace accident injuries and their causes include:
- Falling objects can cause traumatic brain injuries and concussions
- Hazardous materials, including chemicals and toxic waste. Accidents with these materials can result in serious burns, blindness, infections, respiratory diseases, and other medical issues.
- Falls may be caused by debris and liquids on floors, as well as improperly secured extension cords, items left sitting in the way of foot traffic, and poor lighting.
- Stress or exhaustion due to an unusually heavy workload. Pushing past reasonable limits to keep up with an unfair amount of work can impair judgment and slow reflexes, increasing the potential for accidents when operating machinery or vehicles.
- Repetitive motion can lead to injuries like carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Collisions with other employees or objects due to reckless movements, negligence in securing objects, or poor visibility.
- Lifting heavy items can cause pulled muscles and back injuries.
- Car accidents or collisions in other motor vehicles related to your employment.
- Violent acts may be perpetrated by disgruntled former workers and estranged partners of co-workers.
What to Do if You’re Injured at Work
If you're injured on the job, the New York State Workers' Compensation Board advises that you should take the following steps:
- Seek medical treatment as soon as possible. For non-emergency medical treatment, you must gain authorization from the Workers' Compensation Board. Your employer or your employer's workers' compensation insurer will pay the cost of your medical expenses unless your claim is disputed.
- Alert your work supervisor as soon as possible about your injury and how it happened. If you do not alert your supervisor in writing within 30 days of the accident, you may lose your rights to workers' compensation benefits. If you are suffering from an illness that resulted from conditions at your workplace, you must alert your supervisor within two years after you became disabled or two years after you knew that your illness was related to your work.
- File the appropriate workers' compensation paperwork, form C-3, and mail it to the closest Workers' Compensation Board office.
- Follow all instructions from your medical provider regarding your injury or illness to aid in your recovery.
- Attend any hearings related to the case; you will receive a notification if you are required to appear.
Seeking Additional Compensation for Injuries
You may have heard that if you're injured on the job, the only financial assistance you will receive is through the workers' compensation system. Workers' compensation provides a critical safety net to cover medical expenses and lost wages for injured or ill employees. However, additional compensation may be available to you through what is known as the “Scaffold Law” or New York State Labor Law.
Depending on the specific circumstances of your injury or illness, you may be able to sue for damages with the assistance of an experienced work accident and injuries attorney.
Legal Help for Injured Construction Workers
Given the hazardous nature of the equipment and premises involved, construction accidents are common. If you're hurt while performing construction work, renovation, alteration, demolition, excavation, or repair of a structure, you may be able to sue the owner of the premises where you were injured. Other potentially liable parties may include the general contractor who was retained by the owner or a subcontractor. Our Bronx construction accident lawyers are experienced in handling workplace accident claims such as these and know how the elements of negligence apply to this type of labor.
Workplace accidents involving a “gravity-related” risk, such as a fall from a height, a falling object, or an injury sustained while preventing a fall, allow you to sue the owner or general contractor under “absolute liability.” In these cases, the owner or general contractor will be liable under the New York Labor Law Statute section 240(1) regardless if they were at fault.
Options for Recovering Compensation in Workplace Accident Cases
A workplace accident lawyer can help you determine the full scope of your legal options to recover compensation. Other possible avenues for recourse could include:
- A claim against a manufacturer if you were injured due to a toxic substance at your place of employment.
- A personal injury lawsuit against your employer if you were hurt or sickened due to flagrant or intentional conduct.
- A civil action to collect compensation from a state fund if your employer is not covered by workers' compensation insurance.
- A product liability suit against a manufacturer if you were hurt or made ill by a defective product.
- A personal injury lawsuit against a third party who caused your injury or illness.
Compensation You May Receive After a Workplace Accident
Unlike the benefits you may receive from workers' compensation, a workplace injury lawsuit can provide you the opportunity to recover economic and non-economic losses. These include:
- Lost wages and loss of earning potential
- Medical bills and expenses
- Treatment costs and physical therapy
- Assistive medical devices
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment
If someone you love lost their life in a fatal workplace accident, you, as a surviving spouse or family member, may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit on their behalf. Our wrongful death attorneys can help you obtain justice for your departed loved one and work to obtain maximum compensation to ensure that the needs of your family are met during this difficult time.
Speak to an attorney at the Law Offices of Ivan M. Diamond for more information about how our personal injury lawyers can assist you in pursuing legal action and what compensation may be available in your case.
Your Workplace Accident Lawyer Will Pursue Your Case Diligently
Whether you decide to seek workers' compensation benefits or pursue a workplace injury lawsuit based on negligence, an experienced personal injury lawyer can help you make an informed decision regarding your financial future. Your legal advocate will work with you in pursuit of the best possible outcome. Some of the ways we might do this for you include:
- Investigating your case in detail
- Identifying negligent parties
- Assessing your damages and their value
- Consulting with outside experts and witnesses
- Negotiating with the insurance company or companies involved
- Helping you file a lawsuit
- If necessary, litigating for you in a court of law
Our New York attorneys are here to witness you make a financial recovery after sustaining workplace injuries. If you've been hurt by someone else's negligent actions, you don't have to go it alone. We see personal injury claims like yours every day and are prepared to do what we must to ensure that you have the opportunity to move forward with the greatest chance of success.
Our Bronx Workplace Accident Attorneys Are Here to Help
Workers' compensation typically provides benefits to injured workers, but payments do not compensate for the pain and suffering you incur from a serious illness or injury at your workplace. The workers' compensation system also does not cover punitive damages that punish an employer for failing to keep a workplace safe.
If you’ve been injured or suffered from an illness related to your job, Attorney Ivan M. Diamond is ready to assist you. As an experienced Bronx work accidents and injuries attorney, Mr. Diamond helps individuals who have been hurt on the job receive the compensation to which they’re entitled. For a no-obligation, free consultation, please contact The Law Offices of Ivan M. Diamond at 877-960-1702.
The Law Offices of Ivan M. Diamond
888 Grand Concourse Suite #1L, 10451
Client Review: 5/5
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
“I'm grateful for Ivan Diamond law office. During the tough time through this case he made me feel hopeful and comfortable through out the case process and at the END we won the case ! He works hard to get u what u deserve! I recommend his services! I'm very satisfied with the out come! Thank you IVAN DIAMOND FOR HELP!”
Review by: Cruzita C.