Bronx Personal Injury Cases and Settlements
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than 30 million people visit emergency rooms each year to seek treatment for accidental injuries. Severe injuries can occur in many ways, and a victim’s life may change forever.
If you suffered a personal injury, you are likely dealing with extensive medical treatments, extended time away from work, and life with impairments or disabilities. This is all in addition to the extreme financial losses and pain and suffering that can accompany a serious injury.
The law gives many injury victims the right to seek compensation for their many losses. However, personal injury law is rather complicated because of the many types of injuries a victim can suffer and the many potential causes of accidents and injuries. Always seek assistance from a personal injury attorney who has specific experience handling complex, serious injury cases.
I have seen the financial and physical devastation caused by many accidents and injuries. I regularly help clients hold negligent parties fully responsible so they can obtain the full compensation they deserve. I know how to handle cases involving catastrophic and life-changing injuries, so please contact my office to discuss your options today.
What Is Personal Injury Law?
In some cases, accidents are unavoidable. Most accidents, however, occur because another person or company acted negligently. Negligence refers to the breach of a duty of care, specifically:
- A party owed you a duty of care in that particular situation
- The party did not meet the standard of care required
- The breach of the duty caused your injury and losses
A common example is a negligent driver. All drivers owe other drivers the duty to drive reasonably safely, which includes paying attention, obeying all traffic laws, and avoiding dangerous driving behaviors. A driver who texts while driving and crashes into another car because of the distraction was not upholding the duty of care. If the crash caused injuries, the distracted driver could face liability for the losses of injured parties under personal injury laws.
To prove a valid personal injury case, a plaintiff must meet specific burdens. You must present sufficient evidence that another party acted carelessly and that those actions directly caused or contributed to your injuries.
Personal injury cases can also relate to intentional acts of violence that cause injury. One clear example of a personal injury is when someone with a gun or knife injures another person—the victim would not have sustained injuries had the person not possessed and used a weapon.
Identifying and proving negligence under personal injury laws is not simple. You need a law firm that has the time and commitment to investigate how your injury occurred and determine your legal rights. The Law Offices of Ivan M. Diamond is dedicated to providing the individualized attention that each client needs.
I have the resources to fully pursue personal injury claims and, as a result, I am able to obtain big results for injured clients.
Types of Injuries
The range of injuries you can suffer varies widely and can depend on the type of accident that occurred (slip and fall accidents, car accidents, or medical malpractice, for example). Injuries sustained in a personal injury case can range into the catastrophic, leaving victims with permanent disabilities. Claims arising from such severe injuries require particular care, and attorney Ivan M. Diamond knows how to help these clients.
Common severe personal injuries include:
- Spinal cord injuries – Few injuries frighten or disable people more than spinal cord injuries. Even relatively minor back injuries that result in ruptured discs can cause lifelong pain. In a worst-case scenario, victims can suffer from paralysis as a result of their injuries. Paralysis can involve complete and permanent loss of movement, sensation, and organ functioning in significant parts of the body. Paralyzed accident victims face millions of dollars in costs and may never return to work or regular daily activities.
- Broken bones – Many accidents cause broken bones. Broken bones can result in severe pain, while many require surgical procedures, long periods of recovery, and lengthy rehabilitation therapy. Victims cannot use injured body parts until they fully recover, which can prevent them from working, driving, or completing household tasks. Serious broken bones may require the permanent surgical insertion of pins or screws. Some victims may never fully regain use of that body part.
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) – Brain injuries can occur anytime an accident causes trauma to the head or the violent shaking of the head. TBIs include concussions, which doctors should always properly diagnose. Milder TBIs usually take at least a few weeks or months to heal. Many people who suffer significantly more severe brain injuries, however, may never fully recover. They may enter extended comas or emerge with permanent cognitive, behavioral, and physical impairments.
- Wrongful death – In the most serious cases, victims may die from their injuries. Whether a victim was injured in a car accident, a construction site accident, suffered a fatal gunshot wound, or any other injury, the survivors should immediately contact a lawyer for help. In such cases, the fatal accident victim can no longer file a personal injury claim and, thus, the law gives surviving family members the right to seek compensation for wrongful death.
An attorney should base each personal injury case differently, depending on the type and severity of injuries involved. For example, people with relatively minor injuries may obtain insurance settlements to cover their medical expenses with minimum stress or difficulty. However, catastrophic injuries almost always result in overwhelming losses that may exceed insurance policies. The Law Offices of Ivan M. Diamond represent clients with even the most serious injuries and know how to seek compensation for:
- Past medical bills
- Estimated cost of future medical treatments
- Lost wages
- Future lost earning potential
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental trauma
- Permanent disabilities and impairments
- Lost enjoyment of life
- Wrongful death
Losses that stem from lifelong injuries can prove substantial and financial compensation is critical to moving forward with your life. Obtaining maximum compensation often requires filing a lawsuit in civil court, engaging in aggressive settlement negotiations, or even going to trial. Attorney Ivan Diamond is a skilled litigator who knows how to pursue large claims.
Just as the injuries one suffers in a personal injury case are broad, the same applies to the types of accidents that can result in personal injury cases.
I have helped Bronx clients prove their injuries were someone else’s fault in a number of types of cases, including:
- Medical malpractice/nursing home abuse – Doctors are human and, therefore, not infallible. Injuries and serious illnesses can occur when victims are not properly diagnosed, when they are prescribed unsafe medications, when injuries occur at birth, or when they endured improperly performed surgical procedures. In addition, nursing homes are supposed to keep our loved ones safe. When nursing home residents suffer from mistreatment, the responsible parties need to face responsibility.
- Car and truck accidents – Roadway accidents cause millions of injuries every year and thousands of tragic deaths. Accidents can occur in many ways, involving many negligent acts. When someone else causes an accident on New York roadways, you need an attorney who can help you recover financial losses, including lost wages, medical bills, and rehabilitation treatments.
- Construction site accidents – Many things can go wrong at a construction site, and these sites are some of the most dangerous workplaces in New York City. Workers can suffer burns, falls, electrical injuries, and even death from malfunctioning equipment, scaffolding collapses, power tool accidents, and more.
- New York City subway accidents – As a New Yorker, you should feel safe while riding the subway. You shouldn’t need to concern yourself with your personal safety or worry about suffering injuries caused by negligent MTA workers. Unfortunately, many falls, door malfunctions, and assaults can seriously injure subway riders.
The above are only some examples of the cases regularly handled by The Law Offices of Ivan M. Diamond. We also help clients with:
- Workplace accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Slips and falls
- Premises liability
No matter what type of accident caused your serious injuries, do not hesitate to discuss whether The Law Offices of Ivan M. Diamond can help you.
I serve as an aggressive advocate for injured clients and will take all steps necessary to protect their rights.
How To Demonstrate Fault After an Injury
Under New York personal injury statutes, your lawyer must prove that the injuries you suffered resulted from of someone’s deliberate action or negligence. This is done by interviewing victims and witnesses, and in some cases, reconstructing the accident with the help of experts.
Some cases are easier to prove than others—a drunk driver who runs a red light and strikes a pedestrian, for example, is clearly at fault for the injuries that result. Proving fault in these cases, however, still requires a lawyer to gather and present evidence. You will still need to prove the extent of your losses.
Other cases are not as simple to prove, but your lawyer will review all of the circumstances of your case to determine whether you have a case.
The best way to know your rights and options is to discuss your specific accident and injuries with a highly skilled personal injury lawyer. Ivan Diamond fully understands New York personal injury law, the insurance claim process, and the litigation process in New York civil court. He has obtained impressive results for many clients whose lives were changed forever due to injuries. Ivan Diamond knows the struggle you are going through.
Call a Bronx and New York City Personal Injury Case Lawyer for a Free Consultation
If you or a loved one was injured, or the death of a loved one was caused by someone’s negligence, call attorney Ivan M. Diamond, a Bronx personal injury lawyer immediately, at (718) 588-2000 or write to him online.
I will be happy to meet with you in a free, no-obligation consultation and help you determine whether you have a personal injury case in New York.
The Law Offices of
888 Grand Concourse #1L
Ivan M. Diamond
Bronx, NY 10451
Phone: (718) 588-2000
Ivan M. Diamond is available for home and hospital visits, as well as weekend and evening appointments.
How Can We Help?