Bronx Personal Injury Cases and Settlements
Personal injury law is rather complicated because the types of injuries a victim can suffer and the locations where an accident can occur causing injury are so varied. I have seen the financial and physical devastation of a number of different types of accidents that have occurred to residents of New York because someone else was negligent.
What is Personal Injury?
Accidents happen and in some cases, they are unavoidable. However, there are specific burdens that must be met to prove a valid personal injury case. Primarily, we have to be able to demonstrate that someone suffered an injury or an illness as a result of the deliberate action or inaction of a third person. One clear case of personal injury is when someone is injured by a person wielding a gun or knife; the victim would not have been injured had the person not been carrying a weapon.
Types of Injuries
The range of injuries you can recover from financially are broad and include injuries sustained in slip and fall accidents, car accidents and medical malpractice. Injuries sustained in a personal injury case include back injuries, broken bones and traumatic brain injuries. Some of the more common injuries include:
- Back and Spinal Injuries – There are few things more frightening than suffering a spinal injury. Even minor cases that result in a ruptured disc can cause life-long pain and in a worst case scenario victims can be paralyzed from their injuries.
- Broken Bones and Bruises – Falling in a store, being involved in a car accident and being hit by debris falling from a construction sites can cause bruising and broken bones. While bruising often heals with very little treatment, broken bones can result in severe pain, surgical procedures and rehabilitation therapy.
- Wrongful Death – In very serious cases, victims of personal injury may die from their injuries. Whether a victim has been injured in a car accident, a construction site accident, suffered from a fatal gunshot wound or any other injury that results in death you should immediately contact a lawyer for help.
Just as the injuries one suffers in a personal injury case are broad, the same applies to the types of accidents that can result in a personal injury case. I have helped Bronx clients prove their injuries were someone else’s fault in a number of cases including:
- Medical Malpractice/Nursing Home Abuse – Doctors are human and therefore are not infallible. Injuries and serious illness can occur when a victim is not properly diagnosed, when they are prescribed and unsafe medication or when they have had a surgical procedure that was carried out improperly. Nursing homes are supposed to keep our loved one safe and when they are mistreated, someone needs to be held accountable.
- Car and Truck Accidents – Roadway accidents cause hundreds of injuries every year and the range of injuries range from bruises to death. When someone else causes an accident on New York roadways, an attorney can help you recover financial losses including lost wages, medical bills and rehabilitation treatments.
- Construction Site Accidents – There are a number of things that can go wrong at a construction site. Workers can suffer burns, broken bones and even death from malfunctioning equipment or because of unsafe work conditions.
- NYC Subway Accidents – As a New Yorker you should be able to feel safe while riding the subway. You shouldn’t need to be concerned with your personal safety or worry about suffering injuries caused by negligent MTA workers.
How To Demonstrate Fault After An Injury
Under New York personal injury statutes, your lawyer must be able to prove that the injuries you suffered were a result of someone’s deliberate action or their negligence. This is done by interviewing victims, witnesses and in some cases, reconstructing the accident. Demonstrating fault is important because if fault cannot be proven, we cannot hold anyone accountable. Some cases are easy to prove; for example, a drunk driver who runs a red light and strikes a pedestrian is clearly at fault for their injuries. Other cases are not as simple to prove but your lawyer will review all of the circumstances of your case to determine whether you have a case or not.
If you or a loved one has been injured or you feel the death of a loved one has been caused by someone’s negligence, call Attorney Ivan M. Diamond, a Bronx personal injury lawyer immediately. I will be happy to meet with you in a free, no obligation consultation and help you determine whether you have a personal injury case in New York.
The Law Offices of
888 Grand Concourse #1L
Ivan M. Diamond
Bronx, NY 10451
Phone: (718) 588-2000
Ivan M. Diamond is available for home and hospital visits, as well as weekend and evening appointments.
How Can We Help?